Monday, October 10, 2011

The Elusive Oxford University

While our not-so-pleasant first week in the UK was loaded with frustration, home sickness, and a temporary housing, it also allowed me the opportunity to explore central Oxford more than I would have otherwise.  After sending Doug off to work, Kate and I would grab a pain du chocolat and cafĂ© Americano and stroll the city for hours upon hours.  Anything to avoid sitting in that dreadful tiny flat.  We checked out all the standard spots – Botanic Gardens, Christ Church Cathedral, the Covered Market, etc. – but I could not seem to find the campus of Oxford University.  For the life of me, I could not figure out how the oldest college in the English-speaking world could elude me.  Too proud to ask and no internet to look it up, I remained mystified. 

What I soon came to realize was that Oxford University wasn’t like UCF, Ohio State, or any of the other campuses I had visited in the US.  It is a collective group of thirty-six colleges (amazingly all founded before the 16th century) that are scattered about the town, each one specializing in its own area of study. 



Magdalen College

Once a year after tourist season is over, but before school is back in session, Oxford’s colleges opens their doors for a program called “Oxford Open Doors”…such a clever name. Doug, Kate, and I were able to tour a few of the more private colleges that aren’t typically open to the public.  Here are some of the highlights…
Christ Church College: Inside the dining room where Harry Potter was filmed
Christ Church College: The Quadrangle
Magdalen College


All Souls College
I’m hoping that before our 18 month stay is up, we will have seen all 36 of Oxford University’s colleges.  We have quite a ways to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment