Sunday, January 22, 2012
Birthday in Paris
After pulling off a huge 30th birthday surprise that I was certain my wonderful husband would never be able to top (we’re talking a giant banner the size of my garage door, dinner with friends, after party at our house, and flying in my brother, sister-in-law, cousin, and her husband), he took me to Paris to celebrate my 34th year of life.
My mom flew in to watch Kate, and Doug and I took the train from Oxford to London Paddington to Paris du Nord. If you’re a parent, you know the bliss of traveling without your child. No stockpiles of Cheerios. No sippy cups. No collections of toys and books to entertain the little one. While I must insert a disclaimer that I would never trade motherhood for the world, I will say with absolute certainty that I love the ease of travelling without my little angel. Coffee in hand, we sat back and enjoyed the English and French countryside and ride through the Chunnel. That in itself would have been celebration enough.
We took the Paris Metro to Place de la Bastille where our hotel was. The escalator brought us up to ground level where my eyes immediately transfixed on the huge illuminated July Column. That’s when I first set my eyes on Paris. It was love at first site.
The next three days were spent leisurely waking up, walking the city, exploring the sites, and well, mostly eating. To say that the French enjoy the art of food is an understatement. Meals weren’t just good, they were incredible. Bread, butter, cheese, wine. Ahh, the wine. It was gluttony at its finest.
We toured the sprawling Musee du Louvre…
Climbed the Eiffel Tower…
Awed at the construction and beauty of the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris.
And enjoyed the beauty of the city...
Thank you to my amazing husband for a birthday I’ll never forget. What are we doing next year?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
BEAUTIFUL COLLEEN!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR AND GREAT JOB DOUG!! KISSES FOR KATE!!
ReplyDeleteTAMMY M.
Such AMAZING pictures and memories Colleen! Looks like you and Doug are having the time of your lives:) Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete~Keri Mayfield