Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Celebrating One Year as a Family of Three

I know it sounds cliché, but I truly can’t believe that my little girl is one today.  Reflecting on all that’s happened in a year, however, reminds me that it’s definitely true…Doug turned the big 3-0 and received his MBA from the University of Dayton, I became a ‘working mom’ as a 1st grade teacher, while also going to school to earn my Masters in Educational Leadership (also from U of D), Kate celebrated lots of ‘firsts’, and we moved to England.  What a difference a year makes!    

The story of Kate’s arrival:
It was August 23, the night before the first day of school.  Kate was due to arrive on August 30, but I (and my doctor) was certain that she would make her appearance early.  Much to my dismay, I had come to accept that me and my giant belly would be starting a new school year, likely wearing the white pool cover-up dress that I had worn all summer since nothing else fit me.  After dinner, Doug, Toby, and I went for our nightly walk around our cul-de-sac in hopes of getting labor going.  We got 3 doors down when our neighbor’s unleashed dog ran to the sidewalk and started relentlessly attacking Toby.  Somehow during the scuffle, I was knocked to the ground and the dog bit my right hand – 2 puncture wounds on the top, 2 on the palm, and one in the webbing.  The dog’s owner finally got control of him and I got up.  A white-faced Doug grabbed my other hand and we headed to the ER.  If you know my husband, you know that there isn’t much that rattles him.  This did. 

The ER bandaged me up and sent us home, but the nurses in the Southview Maternity Unit wanted me to come back in for 4 hours of fetal heart monitoring to make sure that Kate didn’t suffer any trauma from the fall.  From 11PM until 4AM, Doug and I watched and listened to the fast heartbeat of our tiny baby.  After a very exhausting 5 hours (they kept me for an extra hour to gather more information), I buzzed the nurse and asked if we could leave.  Unfortunately the data showed some irregularities with Kate’s heart that my doctor, Dr. Pachiano, couldn’t explain. I was admitted and induced a few hours later.  I got my epidural around 7AM, then waited for the Pitosin to do its thing.  At 3:54PM, our girl entered the world…7 pounds, 14 ounces, and 20 ¾ inches of pure love and goodness.  I’ll never forget the first time we met. 

Kate at ONE YEAR:
*Aside from the typical ‘mama’ and ‘dada’, she says the following words – Papa, Nonna, doggie, bird, kitty cat, milk, all done, no-no, blue, yellow, purple, red, night-night, hi, bye bye.  I think there are more, but I can’t think of them!
*She is extremely observant – she doesn’t miss a car, bus, or animal that goes by.  
*Her favorite toy is the bunny that Nonna gave her for her 1st Easter.
*She has her daddy’s love of adventure and exploring, with a touch of her mommy’s cautiousness.
*She doesn’t stop.  Ever.  Unless she’s sleeping.  Thankfully, she inherited mommy’s good sleeping abilities.
*She’s awful in restaurants (see above comment about stopping).  
*Her favorite foods are cheese, chick peas, avocados, yogurt melts, blueberries, and cucumbers.
*She’s been a blessing beyond words, and I can’t imagine life without her.  

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Col, I can't believe she's 1 already. And I can't wait to experience the mother/daughter bond that you two have. I will definitely be coming to you for some advice. I miss you guys and look forward to seeing you around Christmas. Hugs and kisses. -Kim

    ReplyDelete