Monday, August 1, 2011

Expecting bumps, but got mountains!

I can't believe that we've been here for two and half weeks now and this is my first blog update.  It's going to be short and sweet though, as we STILL don't have internet access at the apartment.  In fact, we won't for 11 more days.  That means no Facebook, People.com, gmail, or Google.  I need rehab.

I'm going to keep this update short and sweet, as I'm sitting at a Starbucks using their internet while Doug's on Daddy duty.  Kate is an absolute terror in restaurants at her ripe old age of 11 months, so trying to do this with her is impossible. 

In a nutshell, we've had some pretty big challenges to overcome since arriving in England.  We arrived at our apartment to find it dirty and in much need of serious repairs.  There was a major water leak in the master bathroom which was causing mildew in the walls.  After moving 5 giant suitcases, a pack-n-play, the BOB, a carseat, and Kate across town, we had to pack it all back up and move to a very small temporary apartment.  Picture your closet with a bed in it.  It wasn't fun sharing a room with Kate, as she was still adjusting to the time change, amongst other things.  We are happily settled back into the apartment and are slowly making it home.  I'm learning, however, that the European way is not nearly as quick as the American way. 

Without cars, purchasing things for our new place is a quite the challenge.  I have a new appreciation for the BOB stroller (or "pram" as they call it here).  We've loaded that poor thing down with so many bags and boxes that we had to get the tires filled with air.  We are about a 8 minute walk to the bus stop, then a 10 minute ride into central Oxford where the bigger stores are.  Oh, what I'd give for a Target or Super Walmart right now!

Our apartment is in an awesome location...right across from a HUGE park that just won an award for being one of the best parks in England.  We also have a Community Center that has play groups for babies.  Kate and I had our first "Stay and Play" today.  She absolutely loved playing with all her new friends, and I was able to meet some other moms.  There are TONS of activities her for us. 

We've explored some local sights since arriving...most notably Blenheim Palace.  It's the birthplace of Winston Churchill and the current residence of some Duke and Duchess.  So beautiful. 

I'll update more later when I can get back in the internet.  Until then, keep your fingers crossed that our shipment arrives soon from the US, our phone and internet gets set up, and our sofas get delivered!  That's not too much to ask, is it??

Hugs to you all, and thanks so much to those of you who have been sending positive thoughts our way.  They were much needed and appreciated!

Love,
Colleen

3 comments:

  1. AHHHH! FINALLY! I have been DYING to hear from you. Of course things had to be rough, right? Just remember that God only gives you what you can handle....sometimes we wish He didn't trust us as much, but He won't give you more than you can take! In the meantime, enjoy your Starbucks, London style and meet other moms! I have total faith in you!

    xoxo,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Colleen!! You will cherish these memories someday. I know right now it is overwhelming but I will pray for patience and perseverance for you...all good qualities in motherhood (stay at home mommyhood for sure) and wifehood! Much Love!
    Amber and the Snipes'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Setbacks aside, I am still envious of you guys! Thanks for the update, I've been wondering how things are going. It's awesome that you live right across from a nice park. I am so glad you found a play group for Kate and met some fellow moms. Greg and I saw Harry Potter yesterday and I thought of you, because I think you said it was filmed there – I should probably know that, but anyhow… I can’t wait for you to get internet so I can further my vicarious living. Haha! If you get bored, you could type up your blog updates and post them later when you got internet access. Who knows, by the time you are reading this, you might have it already. Sending smooches to the three of you. Thanks for posting some pics on FB. I can’t wait to see more. ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete