Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waterperry Gardens


With the much-awaited movement of the jet stream that is bringing blue skies and 70+ degrees, Kate and I ventured out to Waterperry Gardens to spend some time outdoors.  We've been getting some serious QT in the last couple months with Doug being gone so much.  I'm not complaining though*, as she's in such a fun, easy stage right now.  I absolutely LOVE being with her.

*OK.  Maybe I complain a little.

Anyways, we packed a picnic lunch and were on our way.  When we got there, I was told that entrance was only for "Art in Action" visitors and that parking for "those" people was via shuttle bus.  Ugh.  I was about to turn around and call it a day when the nice gentleman apparently noticed my 'oh-crap-now-what-am-I-going-to-do-with-this-toddler' face.  He looked at me and said with a smile, "Just pull ahead to the right and you can park in staff parking."  Yes, there are angels among us.

This lady fell in love with Kate.  I fell in love with that teacup painting!
Art in Action turns out to be this really awesome art show that was founded under the premise that "people are fascinated when artists and craftsmen openly demonstrate their skills and discuss their work." (I got that from the website).  The exhibits were set up in categorical tents (painting, sculpture, illustration, etc.)  In each tent, artists not only displayed their beautiful work, but they were creating new ones.  Right there.  While people walked around, took photos, and asked questions.  What a cool concept!  Kate enjoyed watching the artists at work, and several took as much interest in her as she did them!  I wasn't able to capture many of those moments, as I had to hold her so she could get a closer look.  Here's what I did catch...
Kate watching the painter.
So talented!
Several people were sculpting this horse.
She was incredible!  She illustrates children's books.

We bought an amazing book from this illustrator called, "Can You See a Little Bear?"

These guys were making leather goods.
After admiring all the art, we headed towards the gardens for a picnic.  I'm pretty certain that Kate stopped to smell every single flower along the way.  She's definitely her mother's daughter. (Although she also inherited her love of flowers from both her grandmothers!)  I happily sat back and watched my sweet girl ever-so-gently pull flower by flower down to her level for a sniff.  





Aside from all the flower-sniffing, we wondered through the ornamental grass, found fallen pears in the orchard, and played in a fountain.  










Evidence of a fun afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment